a quick rundown:

My photo
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
I am a major goofball--I love making people laugh and having fun and being totally silly. I'm not afraid to be introspective, and really believe that if I help myself, I can better help the world.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

lars and the real girl.

i was touched last night. waiting in the theater for "lars and the real girl" to begin, i wasn't sure what i was expecting to see. the previews i'd seen revealed very little about the story of the movie, but i had the inkling it'd be something i'd enjoy.

i'm not a writer. i can't craft sentences. i'm not flowery. i appreciate people's use of language, and there are many ways i'd like to say things. but i guess it's not me. i'm pretty straightforward.

"lars" proved to me that love does exist. many things handicap our ability to be emotional, to love, to care about other people, but this movie abandoned the boundaries people create for themselves. The movie encouraged a man, terrified of being loved or unloved, to take his time, to have a relationship that would allow himself to be present to the relationships that really did exist in his life. this movie also demonstrated the capacity a community has, to love someone despite their perception of reality. the great thing about this movie, however, is that it allows the question, "what is real?" to be tossed about in one scene, but then cradled like an infant in another. what is real, of course, is whatever we want it to be, and the movie knows.

i may not be particularly good at expressing myself in words, but i don't know how else i can say that this film was incredible, and there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't see it. this movie strengthens my faith in love.

No comments: